Monday, September 17, 2012

1st time camping in my vintage travel trailer

We took our travel trailer out this weekend for her maiden voyage!  It was a last minute decision, so we didn't go very far.  It was such a great weekend, and it was my weekend off so we just couldn't pass up an opportunity to go.  Since I work every other weekend there were only 4 weekends for us to go camping before the 1st of November, and 2 of the weekends are ready are booked.  My oldest son is getting married the last weekend of October, so with time running out quickly, we decided it just pick someplace and go. 

We started searching for camping within an 1-2 hours of Kansas City, and quickly discover Lake Perry which only ended up being 1.5 from our house.  It was also close to Atchison Kansas, a little town I have wanted to visit for some time now. Atchison is known as the most haunted town in Kansas, but I wanted to go because Atchison is also know for the many beautiful historic homes featuring many architectural styles from the mid 1800's.

After we found a place to park, we strolled along this historic downtown area, ate lunch then took a historical trolley tour where I was able to learn quite a bit of history and view several of the beautiful historic homes in Atchison.

Around 4 o'clock we headed out to Perry Lake for our first camping adventure.
We found a seclude little site on a bluff overlooking the lake. 
My husband definitely needs practice backing in.  It took him several times to get her back in the sport nice and straight.

Since this was just a quick last minute trip we decided just to have hot dogs over the fire and of course I don't consider any camping trip complete without smores. 

When is was time to call it a night, we soon realized we had left the extra board that widens the sofa bed at home.  Since there was 3 of us, we had the bunk mattress, so one of has had to put that on the floor and sleep on it. 

The next morning we got up, had breakfast, then went on an hour and a half hike around the rocky shore of the lake.  It has been a long time since we have visited a lake, as we usually opt for sunny ocean beaches instead.  But we had a nice stroll, and my husband and son enjoyed seeing who could skip a rock the furthest. My husband won with 7 skips.
We saw another vintage travel trailer, but this one looked like it could use some work.

The trip home was even fun.  The route we chose to take home just happened to be on a partial route for Bikers for Babies.  There were people that were parked and scattered along route 92 waiting for all the bikers to ride by.  We got a lot of waves, thumbs up, and honks as we passed by people waiting for the bikers to pass by.  I felt like we were in a parade, it was quite fun.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Looks like you had fun, I can't wait until I can take my trailer out for her first camping trip... with me anyway! LOL!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful blog. It is indeed informative and useful We are into the same business. For know more about us, please visit COROMAL ELEMENT B626 today.

    ReplyDelete