Friday, September 21, 2012

Taking my travel trailer on a Junk Jaunt!

I just found out that I get to attend the 9th annual Junk Jaunt that is held in Central Nebraska. This is a junkers dream. The Junk Jaunt is held the last full weekend in September each year.  This year the Junk Jaunt starts early on Friday September 28th and ends on Sunday September 30th.  There are about 30-35 small towns that take part in this with an occasional detour sign directing you to a farm. I've never experienced a sale of this magnitude before, but I've heard that the Nebraska Junk Jaunt draws people from all over the country. 

I purchased a route map for $7.50 and I'm very glad I did.  It list every town and some key items that each vendor will have, so my husband and I can skip the sales that don't really sound like they will interest us. The route makes a loop through some very scenic country. It includes the Sand hills, Journey Byway and the Loup Rivers Scenic Byway.

I don't know if this is realistic or not, but we are going to try to hit 6 towns the first day and 6 the second.  If anyone has actually done the jaunt and has experience with this I would appreciate hearing from you.  We are going to start on the southeast part of the loop and travel north on the loop and then start heading west at North Loup. There are 393 vendors listed in total for the towns we are planning on visiting.  Most vendors are open til 7 or 8 in the evening and later if it is a business, so we will see.

We are going to take our travel trailer and spend the night a couple of nights.  There are not a lot of places to camp in the middle of Nebraska, so we might have to rough it.  I can't wait for the adventure to begin!

QUICK UPDATE: It was a blast!  Here are just a few treasures I found.  I painted the spice rack red.  My favorite finds were the fan and match stick holder, and tea cart (I want to paint that red too). My favorite part of the trip was having people stop me to tell me how much they loved my little vintage travel trailer. 

We saw quite a few others little travel trailers on our little jaunt and even camped right next to another one.  It wasn't done up though and it was too dark to take photos and by the time we got around the next day, it was already gone.





1 comment: