Sunday, August 19, 2012

Deciding on a paint color

We are almost finished with all of our repairs on our 1973 vintage Shasta travel trailer.  When we first purchased our travel trailer we thought all we would need to do is spruce up our vintage Shasta trailer with some paint. But as we started priming it, we soon realized the paneling was too warped from water damage in a few areas.  7 weeks later we are ready to paint both the interior and exterior of our vintage travel trailer.

We have put up a new piece of paneling on the ceiling.  We just need to caulk the seam then we will be ready to prime then paint.

Speaking of paint, I have no ideal of what color to paint.  I know I want a shade of aqua or turquoise but there are so many shades to choose from.  There are so many shades of aqua to choose from I am getting a little overwhelmed.  I prefer the slightly muted shades like Benjamin Moore's Beach Glass, Bali, Catalina Blue, or Turquoise Mist, but my husband is partial to the more vibrant colors of aqua and turquoise like Sherwin Williams Tantalizing Teal and Holiday Turquoise or Benjamin Moore's Mexicali Turquoise.  I just don't think I am brave enough to go that bold. 



I have eliminated dozens of paint cards, but here is a picture of a few shades I have left to choose from.  I think I am going to try and find a happy medium between the more muted colors and the brighter colors.  Here you can also see that I have a magazine article from Better Homes and Gardens, a piece of scrapbook paper, and a aqua glass jar for inspiration.

Since I also need to pick an interior color maybe I could compromise a bit and do a more muted shade of aqua for the interior and a brighter shade of aqua for the exterior.  We will see...

Better Homes and Garden



This is an online article that I found on the Better Home and Gardens website.  It has a lot of beautiful inspiration photos of colors reminiscent of sea glass. I love these shades of aqua, turquoise and greens.

My favorites on this page is Mermaid by Benjamin Moore.  It is the large middle lid on the right.  My other favorite is Lambs ear by Valspar right under
Mermaid.

Below are a few samples I bought to try out.  The colors I chose where SW Sea Salt, SW Quietude and SW rainwashed.  I have one BM paint sample called Seacliff Heights.  Although in person they are a very pretty muted aqua color, they seem to look a little gray, hmmm...
The other dilemma I am facing is whether or not to paint the trim white or red.  My vote is for white but again my husband is braver than I am and wants to go bold. I like the looks of it on the little trailer I created for my header, but not sure how it would look on a real life sized vintage trailer.  If you have a favorite shade of aqua and would like to share, I would love to hear what it is. 

1 comment:

  1. Iwould go withthe white on the inside. The red would be too dark inside

    ReplyDelete