Friday, August 17, 2012

One step closer to painting our 1973 Shasta

We have had our little vintage Shasta trailer for 7 weeks now, and we are still not finished with the inside, or the outside for that matter.  It seems like one thing just leads to another.  Hey isn't that a song?

I worked this weekend, so my husband worked diligently with out me, so no pictures but I wanted to share our progress.

Last week we addressed some water damage in the rear of our little Shasta trailer..  This time the area that needed to be addressed was the front curbside corner just above the counter top.  My husband also discovered more wood rot on this same wall when he removed the kitchen window to reseal it.

This ended up being a bigger job than the back corner because we could not see behind the cabinets to see how far the water damage extended.

We knew we wanted to remove the exterior trim pieces and reseal them with butyl tape.  So instead of taking out the cabinets and removing the paneling on the interior,  we took this opportunity to remove the trim pieces and pull the skin away from the frame. I read a lot of post on the Vintage Shasta Pro boards and read how to do this.  If any of you are reading this, thanks guys!

I have to tell you, this freaked my husband out quite a bit. He was afraid we wouldn't be able to put Dottie back together again. If he had read as many post as I have, he would know that it's really not that big of a deal. 

With the skin pulled back, we were able to see the whole frame of the front side.  There were only a few boards that had rotted back there and was much better than I had feared.  I have seen a lot of scary photo's posted on at Vintage Shasta Proboards  that have kept me up worrying at night.   The worst board was the bottom board that formed the frame for the window.  It ran horizontally across the whole trailer, but was only rotten under the window. However it had rotted in half so we replaced the entire board.  Another board that was rotten was also part of the window frame and was the piece that connected to the other board we had just replaced. The corner was not as bad a I had feared.  We only had to replace the board that forms the vertical corner piece.  It was pretty soft in several places.  If we had not fixed it I don't think the the screws would have had anything to screw into.

After we did the corner piece, we were ready to put Dottie back together.

There was only one problem.  It was getting dark. So we screwed  the skin up in a few places threw a tarp over her and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment