Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Thrifty finds for my vintage travel trailer

I love to go to thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets.  I love hunting for treasures, and I love it when I find one, but I love it even more when I get a good deal.

To say I am frugal is an understatement.  I am uber frugal.  Two dollars is usually the limit I will buy something for.   If something is $3, I put it in my cart and think about it.  I usually put it back unless it is something I decide I really want. I would say 9 times out of 10 I usually put whatever it is back on the shelf.  It is very rare that I will spend more than $5 for anything unless it is something I have been hunting for.

Here are just a few of my thrifty finds.  I can't wait to get them in my little vintage travel trailer.














Red an white tablecloth $ 2       Yellow & white gingham pillow $ 2
 Thermos Insulated Picnic jug $ 4 (I almost put this back)
 Androck Sifter (left) $ 3
 2 bushels of tulips .25 each
 Aqua pillow $ 1
 Bromwell's Sifter $ 2
 2 yellow vintage aprons .50 each
1 spatula with green red and cream handle .50
Aqua picnic tablecloth $ 2

$18.75 for everything.  Not too shabby


  














Here are some more of my thrifty finds...
Red and white card table tablecloth $ 1
red basket $ 3
4 butter knives .10 each
4 vintage plastic drinking glasses 4 for $ 1.49
Chrome Canister Set (missing flour) $ 6 had to really debate if I wanted these.
They where on my list of things I was looking for however they weren't aqua or red.
Aqua pitcher $ 2
red polka dot napkins 2 for $ 1
Melmac bowls 4 for $ 1.49
Plastic aqua picnic plates $ 1 each
1 red, white aqua and pale yellow tea towel (under glasses) $ 2

I am on a constant hunt for anything red or aqua.  I occasionally will look for things on ebay or go to an antique mall to get ideas for my little vintage travel trailer, but don't usually buy anything, because I like the thrill of the hunt. 

More than likely I will not use the pitcher in Dottie because it is breakable.  I am also trying to keep things as light weight as possible so when I go shopping at thrift stores or garage sales, I am mostly looking for vintage kitchen items made with plastic like Melmac, Lustro Ware or bakelite.  Vintage items made of tin will also do. I would love to find some vintage aqua or red Lustro Ware salt and pepper shakers like these...

















I am also hunting for a vintage bread box, spices and spice rack.  I also am keeping my eyes opened for a Bakelite radio, and aqua one would be AWESOME...maybe something like this???















or a red vintage Bakelite radio could be cool too. Maybe something like this...















It looks like Mecky from http://kettlekornerkottage.blogspot.com
was lucky enough to find this one, maybe I will too!

Oh well, enough daydreaming for today...

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed visiting your blog. Good luck finding a bakelite radio in your price range!! You may have to spring for a few more dollars if you find what you're looking for. No doubt it would look great.

    ReplyDelete